Construction Closure of Old Ferry Landing Area
Berlin MD - Beginning at 5 PM on Sunday, September 18th, the Old Ferry Landing area will be closed for construction. The closure will be in effect from the intersection of Bayberry Drive and Old Ferry Landing Roads. This closure includes vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians. The area of Old Ferry Landing will also be closed to all boat and kayak landings.
The current bulkhead at Old Ferry Landing will be replaced and raised. The boardwalks around the landing will also be replaced, and the connection to the marsh boardwalk will be rerouted and raised. Other minor work will be done in the area of the parking lot.
This project is necessary because of the deteriorating condition of the bulkhead and boardwalk, and the constant maintenance needed, especially in the winter. After every winter storm, pieces of the boardwalk detach and end up in the bay or in the parking lot-requiring periodic closures and maintenance. At times, even just a strong southwest wind can cause damage to the current facilities.
This project was funded by park entrance and pass fees and is an example of your fee dollars at work. 80% of all revenue from Assateague Island National Park Entrance fees or the local sales of the various Federal Interagency Passes stays right here in the park to fund this type of visitor related project. The other 20% goes into a fund which can be used by parks with no entrance fee or very low fee revenues. Examples of projects funded in the last year are the new Boardwalk at the Maryland Visitor Center, Renovation of Well #1 on the island, Design of a new Freshwater Distribution system for the island, reconstruction of the state line fence, and replacement of the entrance sign at the visitor center. Later this winter major renovations will be coming to the Life of the Marsh and Life of the Forest Trails to make them more accessible, safer, and longer lasting.
The length of the closure is difficult to predict at this time, as construction is very weather dependent. It can be expected that the area will be closed at least into November, and possibly to the end of the calendar year.
NPS photo: Old Ferry Landing at Assateague Island National Seashore will undergo reconstruction beginning September 19th.
For general information about the Seashore and park activities access the park’s web site at www.nps.gov/asis or call 410-641-1441.
- www.nps.gov -
About the National Park Service. More than 20,000 National Park Service employees who care for America’s 423 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. Visit us at http://www.nps.gov, on Facebook www.facebook.com/nationalparkservice, Twitter www.twitter.com/natlparkservice, and YouTube www.youtube.com/nationalparkservice.